Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Restoring My Faith In Humanity



B2BGateway.Net www.b2bgateway.net connects to Home Depot for a great deal of our clients.
B2BGateway.Net www.b2bgateway.net has been connecting to Home Depot since way back in 2000. As I am a very cheap and an impatient person, I spend a great deal of time at Home Depot. Being impatient, I can’t wait for a professional to come and fix something that is broken at my home. Being very cheap, I can’t see paying for that same professional to fix something at my home,… so I do it myself.

At Home Depot, you can walk into the store with no idea how to fix something. If you stand in the right department for long enough someone will help you. Once I stood in the plumbing department staring at a shelf of fittings and another shopper asked me if I needed help. He didn’t help me for any other reason except that I looked like I needed help.

There are not many places left where you can have a perfect stranger walk up to you and ask if you need help. The place that really restores my faith in humanity is the Home Depot parking lot. Without fail, if you are wrestling to get a large sheet of plywood or some other heavy or unwieldy object into your Mini Cooper, someone will offer to help you. I have had people run across the parking lot, (people who would not run if their house was on fire), to offer assistance.

In turn, I have decided to embrace the Home Depot Parking lot code. Now when I load my Mini Cooper up with three 55-Gallon drums of paint, two 4X8 sheets of plywood and a large box of band-aids, I always look around to see if anyone else needs help. Although Home Depot is a “for profit” publically traded company, they have inadvertently created an environment where people treat each other with respect and go out of their way to help each other.

Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment