Monday, August 23, 2010

Mt Washington



This past weekend, I actually made it to the summit of Mt Washington! I had previously tried hiking to the top twice when I was younger. The first time, was when I was only about 7 years old and I went with my parents and three sisters. We made it about halfway up before my Mother made us all turn around because she felt it was far too dangerous for children. My second attempt was when I was 11 years old. This time my Father took me and we decided to try a different trail than the first time. The day started off cloudy but as we climbed higher the clouds started to dissipate. While taking a short break about a half mile from the summit, I realized how high up we were. I ended up panicking and making my Dad turn around. 15 years after my last failed attempt, I was determined to make it to the top. Hiking alongside me was my sister, Micaela, her boyfriend, Steve and fellow B2BGateway (www.b2bgateway.net) employee, Justin Hoyle. It was much harder than I had anticipated but just as scary as I had remembered. It took a full 8 hours to hike but I can now say I have conquered my fears AND managed to climb (or more truthfully, crawl, scratch, scramble and claw my way up) the highest peak in the Northeastern United States (6,288 ft or 1,917 meters). That said, I think I might just take the train or drive up the next time!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment