Thursday, July 21, 2011

How I will save the World!


"Would you like your receipt?"

"No thank you"

...and that's how I will do it. Just like that. Nothing else. You can thank me later.

Every time I go to Dunkin' Donuts, not only do I get a coffee, but also a little piece of paper for proof that I bought my coffee - even when I say the words "no receipt please", I always end up with this piece of paper in my hand. Now, multiply this action, oh say, a couple zillion times across every fast food restaurant in America - - across the globe - and we have ourselves the makings of a national receipt crisis. I'm not saying eliminate paper, it has its place (even though more companies like mine - B2BGateway.Net -have moved to a paperless/digital environment). It just doesn't belong in the wastepaper basket behind me, immediately upon making said transaction.

Solution:

"would you like a receipt with that shake?" says the cashier as I'm ordering and when I say 'no', she or he presses a button that is marked 'No Receipt'. Multiply that action across zillions of transactions and we save so many trees that the air we breathe is cleaner - saving lives, we use less fossil fuel to power the machines used for deforestation - solving the fuel crisis and leaving more land for people to peacefully coexist - creating global harmony and thereby saving the world.

You can thank me later.

oh, and if you do need a receipt for business expenses, you can still get one, there's a 'Yes' button, but there should be an app for that by the time you're done reading this.

Brian Alty

2 comments:

  1. As far as "receipt" apps go, a local restaurant where I live has switched over to a mobile app + device for their credit/debit transactions, and they don't print paper receipts - they email or text them to you.

    I'm a bit wary of the potential security issues, but it's definitely a cool concept (and saves paper).

    Big companies especially should be able to email or send a copy to your phone. If you have a courtesy card with a supermarket, drugstore, etc... they already have your phone # and email, and with their modernized/computerized registers, it should be doable.

    I wonder when we'll start seeing the switch over?

    - A Davis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like e-receipts or on the rise and here to stay. Thanks for your post, Alex. :)

    ReplyDelete